Since 2011 terrorism became a real concern for millions of people.
This sites is a place for describing old ideas and suggesting new theories of how to solve the problem.
You can give your own points of view.
Please participate! Send us an email to email@example.com with your ideas, and we will publish it in this site.
The site is a place for a free exchange of opinions. The content of the articles are not to be intended as supported by our editor.
Fighting terrorism is like being a goalkeeper. You can make a hundred brilliant saves but the only shot that people remember is the one that gets past you.
What is terrorism?
There are many definition to to make us understand this term like:
Terrorism is the systematic use of terror, often violent, especially as a means of coercion. In the international community, however, terrorism has no legally binding, criminal law definition.
Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for a religious, political or, ideological goal; and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians).
Well the definition of terrorism has proved controversial. Various legal systems and government agencies use different definitions of terrorism in their national legislation. Moreover, the international community has been slow to formulate a universally agreed, legally binding definition of this crime. These difficulties arise from the fact that the term “terrorism” is politically and emotionally charged.
By distinguishing terrorists from other types of criminals and terrorism from other forms of crime terrorism has these extra points
- ineluctably political in aims and motives
- violent – or, equally important, threatens violence
- designed to have far-reaching psychological repercussions beyond the immediate victim or target
- conducted by an organization with an identifiable chain of command or conspiratorial cell structure (whose members wear no uniform or identifying insignia) and
- perpetrated by a subnational group or non-state entity.
Terrorism can be classified as:
- Civil disorder – A form of collective violence interfering with the peace, security, and normal functioning of the community.
- Political terrorism – Violent criminal behavior designed primarily to generate fear in the community, or substantial segment of it, for political purposes.
- Non-Political terrorism – Terrorism that is not aimed at political purposes but which exhibits “conscious design to create and maintain a high degree of fear for coercive purposes, but the end is individual or collective gain rather than the achievement of a political objective.”
- Quasi-terrorism – The activities incidental to the commission of crimes of violence that are similar in form and method to genuine terrorism but which nevertheless lack its essential ingredient. It is not the main purpose of the quasi-terrorists to induce terror in the immediate victim as in the case of genuine terrorism, but the quasi-terrorist uses the modalities and techniques of the genuine terrorist and produces similar consequences and reaction. For example, the fleeing felon who takes hostages is a quasi-terrorist, whose methods are similar to those of the genuine terrorist but whose purposes are quite different.
- Limited political terrorism – Genuine political terrorism is characterized by a revolutionary approach; limited political terrorism refers to “acts of terrorism which are committed for ideological or political motives but which are not part of a concerted campaign to capture control of the state.
- Official or state terrorism –”referring to nations whose rule is based upon fear and oppression that reach similar to terrorism or such proportions.” It may also be referred to as Structural Terrorism defined broadly as terrorist acts carried out by governments in pursuit of political objectives, often as part of their foreign policy.
Well there is no end on how we define terrorism or how we classify them it is more important how we combat terrorism and its consequences.
The first thing which comes in our mind is to shoot the entire “terrorist clan” but there is and age old adage that violence only returns more violence. So what can the solution for this? One solution could be to to develop a counter ideology because terrorism is based on an ideology and an ideology cannot be countered or killed through legal action or by ere condemnation.
According to UNESCO, “Violence begins from the mind”. It must, therefore, be uprooted from the mind itself. This goes directly to the root cause of terrorism. Therefore, in order to eliminate this root cause we need to initiate our efforts by beginning from the right starting point. And this starting point is the re-engineering of minds of individuals by taking them away from the culture of violence and bringing them closer to the culture of peace.
Let us see the ideology behind the present day terrorism it is Islam being used as a political system, it is the duty of all Muslims to establish Islamic rule in the world. This thinking was not prevalent during the time of the Prophet Muhammad. It is a later innovation which was developed in the last few centuries by a handful of people. Having become widespread in the Muslim world today, it is leading to present-day violence.
A large number of Muslims, and especially youth, have become obsessed with this ideology and are trying to establish the political rule of Islam, thinking it to be their ticket to paradise. Having failed to achieve this objective of establishing Islamic rule by the peaceful method, they have started resorting to suicide bombing, the idea being that if we cannot eliminate non-Islamic rule, then let us at least de-stabilize it and pave the way for Islamic rule.
Solution to above problem lies in the ideology of peace, based on the original sources of Islam, can counter the ideology of violence. The Prophet Muhammad provides a very clear historical example of this in his method of negotiating the Hudaybiyya peace treaty. On this occasion he brought matters to a successful conclusion by unilaterally accepting all the conditions of his opponents. In this peace treaty, the Prophet had not apparently received justice or his rights. But what was in effect a 10-year no-war pact, gave the Prophet an opportunity to work uninterruptedly on a constructive program which would otherwise have been impossible. By means of this peaceful non-political program, the Prophet and his companions were able to consolidate themselves so thoroughly that they had no need to wage war: they were able to take control of Makkah peacefully.
From this example of Prophet, we can understand that there is no room for violence in Islam. The ideology of Islam banishes the notion that there can be anything acceptable about terrorism. Islam is a completely peaceful religion and the Islamic method is a completely peaceful method.
Other solutions includes—–
Identify Relationships - uncover interactions and relationships between terrorist groups and their members.
Link Group Members - understand formal and informal organizational structures.
Connect Networks - expose connections between group members, outside individuals, other organizations, locations, facilities and communication networks.
Expose Group Operations - show shared assets, materials and supplies for carrying out terrorist missions.
Track Technologies - track different types of technologies used as components for manufacturing terrorist weapons.
Understand Behaviors - track and analyze group behaviors for early detection of potential threats.
Assess Vulnerabilities - evaluate funding resources, recruiting methods, communication networks, storage facilities and other resources to uncover potential vulnerabilities.
Every problem has its solution inbuilt into its structure we just need to find out the right cord and we have to remember that we cannot get rid of terrorism in one day it has engulfed a huge population and we have to keep patient because Rome was not built in a day…
Entrepreneurship can fight terrorism
This article develops the idea that terrorism is driven by missery, and in order to combat missery we need to help local entrepreneurs in the right way, as Ernesto Sirolli has done for years.